The fortress of Bomarsund was once the most magnificent structure on the Åland islands. The fortress was originally constructed by the Russian military as an important outpost to the west. The fortress was destroyed during the Crimean War in 1854. Today, the ruins at Bomarsund tell of a large fortified area for which many great expectations were held.
After Finland, including Åland, had been ceded to Russia as part of the Treaty of Fredrikshamn in 1809, the Russians began making plans for Bomarsund located just on the border between the main island and the northeast archipelago.